Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tasting Gaming: Day Two

With the success of KickStarted projects like Mighty No. 9 and the recent success of the kickstarted BloodStained: Ritual of the Night and Yooka-Layley, there has been an awful lot of talk about the direction the gaming industry is going in, and I’m absolutely loving it. I have a couple thoughts on the topic. One question that came to mind recently is, what affect will these kickstarted Intellectual Properties (IPs,) have on the original IPs they were based off of, or whose fan-base funded these games in the first place?

 So I’m super excited about Mighty No. 9’s Fall release, and to prepare myself I ran right to my xbox360 to download Megaman 9 and When BloodStained was announced I did the same thing rushed to my 360 to download Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The Banjo-Kazooie Series is also on the Xbox Live Arcade, even though I will get around to buying these games for review, I personally wasn’t so excited to do so as I am more just excited for Yooka-Layley as an original IP and that’s because my connection to Rare stems more from Donkey Kong and my love of 3D platformers stems from Crash Bandicoot. I can’t be alone on this I can almost guarantee if the sales of Megaman, Banjo-Kazooie and Castlevania and their respective ports haven’t increased already they will as we near the release dates of these projects.

 With the resurgence of the Platformer (whether it be 2D, 2.5D or 3D) will the larger Publishers like Microsoft, like Capcom, like Konami, wind up cashing in on the success of these fresh IPs and start releasing new titles in the series that they’re based off of? For example if Konami saw BloodStained do well after its release, and responds with a “Symphony of the Night 2” then not only will Igarashi’s new IP be in direct competition with its predecessor but also will act like advertisement for Konami’s Project if it doesn’t differentiate itself enough. Additionally if the larger publishers do decide to go in this direction will their sheer popularity and monetary strength be enough to bully the little guy off of the market, I guess that’s up to the gaming community to decide.

I’m going to keep this one short today, For day 3 of Tasting Gaming I want to touch a little more on this subject and additionally talk about the future direction of gaming. I’d love to hear your guys thoughts maybe leave a comment below or send your emails to: Taplaysanexus@gmail.com or Tweeter at me @Playanexus yo.


No comments:

Post a Comment