Monday, October 19, 2015

An aside regarding reviews...

Review and critique are necessary in our culture, a culture that is so saturated with media that we have a seemingly infinite amount of possibilities for experiences yet could never experience them all because of our limited amount of resources, those resources being money and time. My first review was of Shovel Knight, a game I hold near to my heart, one of the few games that in its vanilla state I would honestly rate as a "10 out of 10," I'm equally as passionate about writing as I am about videogames. I was so eager to share and spread my love of the two things coming together in the form of game review but I failed. Game review that I had eagerly hoped would convince you to give the game a chance to strike you as though it struck me and it was because I rambled on, it was "long in the tooth," I don't feel as though I properly conveyed the message. From now on I will be doing shorter reviews and I've decided to put numbers to it. Reviews will use a 1 to 10 scale, the weight of that scale will be determined by comparing the review scores that are given here amongst themselves. To calibrate the scale, a review will come out where I give a game a 10 and that will help weigh one side of the scale, the side that will determine value of your time. The other side of that is value of money, could you be spending your money wisely? Is this product worth buying when I could get more value out of another product? So price will be a factor in the equation. .Now there isn't a zero here, I was discussing with friends "what games would you give a zero?" and nothing came to mind, the only games that deserve zeros as their score are ones that simply don't work, and those are products that you go receive a refund for, products that are not worth the time of critique. I certainly don't want to have a "giving you twenty points just because you signed the test" mentality in regards to games it's just I've honestly never experienced a game that truly deserves a zero otherwise. There will certainly be times a game will score low much lower than a 7-10 score maybe a 3 or a 4 and those will be games that in my experiences interacting with them I didn't feel as though they were worth my money and time when compared to those other games. Most of the time when I'm scoping out a game I want to play or any product really, if I look at the reviews below the listing, I read the ones the stay "above the fold." I rarely will read reviews that require me to "go below fold" if i do read ones that require me click or tap again to further read them I rarely if ever finding myself reading them past the point where I would be tapping or clicking, That's what made me think my reviews have to be shorter. So yeah that's that, review coming soon, thank for reading, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment